Monday, February 23, 2009

grateful

So on my walk this morning, I was conscious of gratefulness. Grateful for a fresh, new morning. For coolness in the air. For awakenings of early spring becoming visible in the brightly blossomed bush. In flower stalks sending slender shoots up tall while balancing tiny, delicate purple flowers at their tips. For blue sky mottled with whitish-gray cloud swirls. For the renewing of life in the park grass recovering green from a careless fire. For the birds giving life to the air as they fly and twirp and twitter. Grateful for legs that can stride briskly without pain. For eyes to see beauty in the common and uncommon around me. For ears to hear breeze rustling through trees; to hear the many varied bird songs and occasional dog barking. To hear passing conversations and snatches of music wafting through the air. Grateful for a heart filled with wonder and awe at the invisible God within and for the God made visible without through created things around me. Grateful for a sound mind to consider all these things, and for a voice to try and utter the welling up and tumbling-over gratitude wanting to burst out of me.

So grateful.
"Lord, accept my grateful thanks...."
(Psalm 119:108)

5 comments:

  1. Pam, The quote by St. Irenaeus in your sidebar reminds me of a book I read a couple of years ago -- Delighting God, by Victoria Brooks, 2003.

    She speaks about a life changing experience revolving around a similar theme, a quote from the Westminster Shorter Catechism of Faith:

    "The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever."

    I loved the book and wanted to share the title, as perhaps you might enjoy the book as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again Pam, (Sun Morn).... Just wanted to give you the link to my posting this morning as your poem is up on my site. Hope it brings new readers to your own! Blessings.

    http://awordfromhome.blogspot.com/2009/03/simply-sunday-guest-blogger.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. brenda, you're an awesome blogger friend!! thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are definitely sisters in wonder and awe! You are expressing my feelings exactly when I catch a spring breeze with my senses. "How Great Thou Art" is my favorite hymn for it's focus on the wonder of God in His creation. This piece of yours touches my soul in the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morning often makes me feel grateful too. What is it? The slant of light, the mist, the possibility of a new day...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to visit...I love hearing from you!

Pam