Thursday, September 8, 2011

I Hunger and I Thirst















Hymn lyrics that have put words to early-morning longings of my heart for many years....


I hunger and I thirst,
Jesus my manna be;
Ye living waters burst
Out of the rock for me.

Thou bruised and broken Bread,
My lifelong wants supply;
As living souls are fed,
O feed me or I die.

Thou true life-giving Vine,
Let me Thy sweetness prove;
Renew my life with Thine,
Refresh my soul with love.

For still the desert lies
My thirsting soul before;
O living waters, rise
Within me evermore.



This poem/hymn, written by John Samuel Bewley Monsell; born 1811, ordained 1834, died 1870.  Author of 11 volumes of poetry, encompassing almost 300 hymns.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking time to visit...I love hearing from you!

Pam