Saturday, October 6, 2007

her need

she called me saying
she wanted to talk

now we sit facing each other
and she begins to recount
the saga of the last few months
of a heart offered
and hurt
again and again

tears rim her eyes
her pretty face shadowed
with the pain
of disappointment
and betrayal

so many things I could say
but no
better to be quiet
her head already knows
what I would tell her

she doesn't need my advice
she just needs someone
to listen

to care about her heart

as we rise to go I hug her
and say I will be praying for her
"oh!" she exclaims
"that's what I need!"

yes, I say to myself
as she walks away
what she needs most right now
is to know someone cares
someone is praying


"Gently encourage the stragglers, and reach out for the exhausted, pulling them to their feet. Be patient with each person, attentive to individual needs....Keep on on praying. " (I Thes. 5:14,17)

2 comments:

  1. Pam, Thanks so much for the reminder! I love the phrase 'her head already knows what I would tell her'.....

    And I loved that verse in that particular version. "Gently encourage"..... my heart sinks into the kindness of that phrase... exactly what I long to do with every word, deed, and thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes brenda, the more i know about healing prayer and interact with people who are hurting, the more real it is that we have a lot of head knowledge that somehow needs to reach our hearts. not only our heads, but our hearts also, need to know the truth.....so that is why we pray with and for one another.

    i love that verse too! it so speaks of who Christ is, and how he relates to us.

    and you are a good and gentle encourager :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to visit...I love hearing from you!

Pam